Although it may not seem like it, cheap jet skis are some of the best models available. They have the lowest barrier to entry, they’re the easiest to work on, and they’re some of the most fun to ride.
Let’s face it, there are very few people who wouldn’t want a personal watercraft. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford one. There aren’t too many cheap jet skis out there, but there are a few good options worth considering.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Buying New Vs Buying Used
One of the best ways to cut costs when buying a jet ski is to consider buying used. Most people are well aware of the depreciation that happens as soon as something is no longer “new”. Just like with everything else, this is true with jet skis as well.
It’s important to know that there are cheap jet ski models that are still brand new. Buying a used model isn’t always necessary, although it can definitely be a great option.
There are pros and cons both when buying a used jet ski or a new one, but these are some of the more notable ones.
Used Jet Ski Pros:
- More affordable- Used jet skis are cheap jet skis. This is perhaps the biggest reason to buy a used jet ski rather than a new one. Personal watercraft tend to retain value pretty well, but they do depreciate after being used. The actual amount that they depreciate varies greatly depending on year, make, model, and how much it was used. No matter what the case is, it’s safe to say that any used jet ski is going to be cheaper than a new one.
- Larger selection- Believe it or not, a lot of people prefer certain models that are no longer in production. There are tons of different reasons for this, and it really depends on the exact situation. Often times people like the storage size of specific models, or perhaps the amount of deck space. Sometimes it’s less of a practical reason, and more for the sake of nostalgia than anything else. Regardless of the reason, there are a lot of models that are no longer in production that people still want. Buying a used jet ski instead of a new one allows people to have a much larger selection to choose from.
- Maintenance- One of the lesser known benefits of buying a used jet ski is knowing the track record that comes with it. When a model is first released, no one knows how well it holds up over time. It’s not until a few seasons later that a consensus is formed, and people truly know the benefits and drawbacks of a new model. Buying used means people more than likely are aware of any potential bugs a model has.
New Jet Ski Pros:
- Features- The newer a jet ski is, the more likely it is to have more advanced features. This means things like gps, multiple riding modes, more storage, breaking and reverse systems, better seats, and more. Of course all the extra bells and whistles aren’t always needed, but they can definitely be nice to have.
- Maintenance- A pretty obvious benefit of buying a new model is the lack of maintenance they require. Other than things like routine oil changes, it’s typically years before jet skis need and real work done. This is where the trade off of a higher price tag comes into play. New jet skis essentially offer peace of mind and less maintenance in return for a higher price.
Jet Ski Prices
Below is a table with all the current jet ski prices listed. This includes cheap jet skis, expensive jet skis, and everything in between.
Related: Sea Doo Vs Yamaha Vs Kawasaki
|Manufacturer||Model||Jet Ski Type||Price|
|Sea Doo||Spark 2 UP 60HP||Rec Lite||$5,999|
|Sea Doo||Spark 3 UP 90HP||Rec Lite||$7,299|
|Sea Doo||Trixx||Rec Lite||$8,199|
|Yamaha||EX Sport||Rec Lite||$8,899|
|Yamaha||EX Deluxe||Rec Lite||$9,999|
|Yamaha||EX Limited||Rec Lite||$10,599|
|Sea Doo||GTI SE 130||Recreation||$11,499|
|Kawasaki||Ultra LX (2022)||Performance||$11,699|
|Sea Doo||GTI SE 170||Recreation||$12,099|
|Sea Doo||GTI Limited 155||Recreation||$12,499|
|Sea Doo||Wake 170||Tow Sports||$12,899|
|Sea Doo||GTR 230||Performance||$13,299|
|Sea Doo||GTR 230||Luxury||$13,299|
|Sea Doo||GTX 230||Luxury||$13,899|
|Sea Doo||GTX 170||Luxury||$13,999|
|Sea Doo||RXP-X 300||Performance||$16,499|
|Yamaha||VX Cruiser HO||Recreation||$16,699|
|Yamaha||FX Cruiser HO||Luxury||$16,699|
|Sea Doo||GTX 300||Luxury||$16,699|
|Sea Doo||Wake Pro 230||Tow Sports||$17,499|
|Kawasaki||Ultra 310X||Performance/ Tow Sports||$18,299|
|Sea Doo||RXT-X 300||Performance||$18,499|
|Sea Doo||GTX Limited 300||Luxury||$18,899|
|Yamaha||FX Cruiser SVHO||Luxury||$19,399|
|Yamaha||FX Limited SVHO||Luxury||$19,999|
|Sea Doo||RXP-X APEX 300||Performance||$20,999|
Best Cheap Jet Skis
Just because something is cheap, doesn’t always mean it has poor quality. Recently manufacturers have made great strides towards making more affordable models to choose from. A few years ago the cheapest jet ski models were $10,000 or more, now similar models can be purchased for half of that.
These are some of the best cheap jet skis that are affordable, despite being brand new.
Sea Doo Spark
The lowest hanging fruit in terms of cheap jet skis is definitely the Sea Doo Spark. Aside from being one of the most affordable pwc on the market, it provides some of the best value as well.
With a base price of just $5,299, the Sea Doo Spark is the cheapest jet ski model on the market. This is thousands of dollars cheaper than its nearest competitor, making it one of the best cheap jet skis to choose from.
An incredibly low base price for the Spark is one of the major reasons that it’s the most popular pwc on the market, but it doesn’t stop there. The Sea Doo Spark also has some of the most innovative features in its class as well.
- Option of 2up or 3up seating
- Option of Rotax 900 ACE engine or Rotax 900 HO ACE engine
- iBR (Intelligent Brake and Reverse) available
- Multiple color options available
Yamaha’s EX series has several great affordable options that can fit into almost any budget. The EX series consists of 3 models: the EX, EX Sport, and EX Deluxe. All of these are pretty inexpensive, but the standard EX is by far the cheapest jet ski out of them.
Currently the Yamaha EX has a base price of $6,699. The good thing about the EX is people rarely need to purchase additional upgrades. This helps people stick to the base price, instead of tacking on additional fees.
What makes the EX so appealing is how advanced it is for an entry level jet ski. It’s surprisingly fast, it comes with a lot of features, and it’s still affordable. A lot of people are surprised with how much Yamaha was able to pack into the EX while still keeping its price so low.
- 1-3 person seating capacity
- 13.2 gallon fuel capacity
- Fuel efficient engine
- Quick access bow storage
- Multi-funciton information center
Kawasaki is known for making some of the fastest engines in the powersports world, and that holds true with their jet skis as well. The Kawasaki STX-15F is arguably the fastest entry level jet ski model on the market. Even though the STX-15F is somewhat expensive for an entry level pwc, it’s still one of the cheapest jet skis available.
The Kawasaki STX-15F has a current base price of $9,699. Despite costing more than some other options, this is still one of the best cheap jet skis to choose from.
Kawasaki’s STX-15F is a great option for someone who wants a fast ride at an affordable price. It has impressive acceleration and top speed, and a very responsive ride. That, along with some of the built in technical features can more than justify the price.
- 1,498cc marine engine
- Responsive hull
- Large rear deck
- Kawasaki Smart Steering System built in
- SLO (Smart Learning Operation) mode
Stand Up Jet Skis
A great choice that is often overlooked when people search for cheap jet skis are stand up models. Stand up models are some of the most fun to ride, and are also some of the cheapest.
As of now Yamaha and Kawasaki are the only major manufacturers that make stand up models. It’s difficult to say for sure what the best stand up jet ski model is, but they can both be solid choices.
The Yamaha Superjet is a favorite among freestyle jet ski riders. It’s extremely lightweight, making it great for doing jumps and tricks on the water.
Right now the Yamaha Superjet costs $8,499. It comes with just about everything a rider could need, so there aren’t many extra fees on top of its base price.
The Superjet uses a 2 stroke engine, which may be problematic for some people depending on where they live. Certain states have strict emissions regulations, so be sure to check local laws beforehand.
- 2 cylinder, 2-stroke Yamaha marine engine
- 4.8 Gallon Fuel Capacity (1.5 Gallon Reserve Fuel Capacity)
- Spring assisted handle pole
- Automatic Bilge
- Slip resistant foot pad
The Kawasaki SXR is a performance based jet ski, much like the rest of their line up. It’s very common on the racing circuits, but can also be used for freestyle tricks.
The current price for a Kawasaki SXR is $9,999, which is somewhat on the pricey side. Price tag aside, the SXR is an amazing SXR, and can be an excellent choice for those who can afford it.
Generally the Kawasaki SXR performs best in racing scenarios, but it can definitely handle freestyle riding. It has an agile and responsive ride that many owners quickly grow to love. Due to the fact that it uses a 4 stroke engine, it’s a really popular stand up model in a lot of places.
- 1,498cc, 4 cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- 3 blade stainless steel impeller and high efficiency jet pump
- Small item storage compartment
- Low fuel and engine warning lights on steering pole
- Magnetic ignition to discourage theft
Which cheap jet skis are the best?
Most people are surprised to find out just how many cheap jet skis there really are. Not only are there inexpensive used jet skis, but a lot of new models are affordable as well.
In the end, it’s all about figuring out a budget, and finding the best option within that budget. Despite popular belief, there are a few great options out there. Sometimes it just takes a little effort to find them.