“Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski?”
This list of jet ski tips was made to help people have even more fun on the water, and get the most out of their jet ski. These tips and tricks include guides on maintenance, modding a jet ski, and ideas on new watersports to try.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
1. Learn how to jump a jet ski. Jumping wakes is one of the funnest parts about riding a jet ski! A few tips on how to jump a jet ski are mentioned here.
2. Go riding in the ocean. Once you know how to jump a jet ski, riding in the ocean is a great time! The ocean provides never ending jumps for you to practice your technique on. Try to go on days when the water is calmer than usual until you get the hang of things. Riding in the ocean when it’s choppy can be tough.
3. Go riding in a river. Obviously you should scope out your location before barging it, but rivers are often times great places to ride. Don’t be afraid to expand your horizons and try something new!
4. Keep up with maintenance. The longer your jet ski goes without breaking down, the more fun you’ll have. If you want your jet ski to last, you have to take care of it. Simple maintenance will keep your jet ski running great for years. This is one of the most useful jet ski tips that beginners overlook.
5. Winterize your jet ski during the off season. This kind of goes with keeping up with maintenance. Properly storing your jet ski in the winter will save you time and money in the spring. I promise you’ll feel great when you take the tarp off in the spring and your jet ski can fire right up. A full step by step process on how to winterize a jet ski can be found here.
6. Find new people to ride with. Days on the water are always more fun with more friends, and jet skis are a great way to network. Don’t be afraid to spark up a conversation with someone else on the water. You both share a love for jet ski’s, maybe you have something else in common.
7. Teach a friend how to ride. A lot of people never ride a jet ski because they’re never given the opportunity. Offer to take a friend out on your jet ski one day. Spend some time teaching them to ride and give them your own jet ski tips. They might end up buying their own and you’ll have a new riding partner!
8. Build a jet ski dock. Owning a jet ski dock makes trips to the water much simpler. With your own personal dock you can go out for a ride whenever you feel like it.
9. Make a GoPro video. GoPro cameras are really easy to use and most videos can be edited on your phone. A GoPro video is a great way to document your fun on the water to look back on or share with your friends.
10. Invest in a jet ski wetsuit/drysuit. A good jet ski wetsuit or drysuit can make seasons start sooner and end later. You can almost double your riding season with a wetsuit. This jet ski wetsuit vs drysuit guide will walk you through everything you need to know.
11. Try out new water sports. If you aren’t using your jet ski for water sports, you’re missing out on a great opportunity! If you do use your jet ski for water sports, try something new! There are a ton of different water sports out there you may have overlooked.
12. Go jet ski camping. Jet ski camping allows you to access remote islands or coves that other people can’t get to. If you own a jet ski, then you can camp on your own private island instead of some generic campsite.
13. Ride a new watercraft. If you normally ride a sit down jet ski, try a stand up jet ski. If you ride a stand up jet ski, try a sit down jet ski. There are pros and cons to both options. It’s good to mix things up every now and then.
14. Buy some accessories. There are a ton of useful and fun accessories out there. Check out this list essential jet ski accessories for some ideas.
15. Watch some jet ski videos. Watching jet ski videos can improve your riding and give you new ideas of tricks to try on the water. Try not to watch too many videos during the off season though, because it’ll just tempt you to go riding in freezing cold water.
16. Get a good jet ski gps. A good gps makes navigation much easier. Most GPS models allow you to track and save locations. A GPS can allow you to mark your secret fishing spot or help you find your way home in bad weather. This is a review of the best jet ski gps available on the market right now.
17. Customize your jet ski. Adding some decals or stickers is a cool way to give your jet ski a new look. Try to only add decals meant for jet skis. Most stickers aren’t waterproof and will wear down easily leaving your jet ski looking worse than before.
18. Make your jet ski faster. There are a few simple ways to gain a few extra MPH on a jet ski. This post here goes over some of the more common upgrades you can do for relatively cheap. Try not to get too carried away with modding your jet ski though. If you find yourself spending over $1,000 to get an extra 2 mph, you might be going overboard.
19. Race your jet ski. Once you’re done upgrading your jet ski, take it out on the water and see what it can do! There are tons of great organizations where people come from all over to race jet ski’s, waverunners, and every other PWC. Racing events are great places to learn more jet ski tips and make new friends.
20. Go jet ski fishing. Using a jet ski to go fishing has an unbelievable amount of advantages. You can navigate narrow channels and access hard to reach spots. Jet skis offer plenty of storage and are much more stable than a canoe or kayak.
One Final Jet Ski Tip
Riding a jet ski is all about having fun. Always look for new things to try, and more ways to have fun on the water. If you found any of these jet ski tips useful, share this with some friends!
Do you have any personal jet ski tips or tricks? Let us know in the comment section!