Unsure which jet ski is the best for fishing? We make your life a bit easier with our guide to the top models on the market right now!
One of the most reoccurring questions in the PWC world right now is “What is the best fishing jet ski?”. Fishing from a PWC (or personal water craft) is becoming increasingly popular, but a lot of fishermen wanting to change their vessel don’t know what to look for.
This guide will go over some of the top fishing jet skis on the market right now and explain what makes them so good.
*The term”jet ski” technically refers to Kawasaki’s personal watercraft. A “Waverunner” is the term Yamaha uses for their personal watercraft. Throughout this post, the two terms will be used interchangeably.
If you already have a jet ski, you can probably just deck it out with some of these jet ski fishing accessories and you will be good to go.
What to look for in a PWC for fishing
For starters, it’s important to know what to look for in a PWC you intend on fishing with. Modern jet skis and waverunners come with all kinds of bells and whistles. How many of these extra features you need is up to you to decide.
When it comes down to it, there are 5 main things to look for in a fishing jet ski.
1) Storage: Large storage capacity is essential for jet ski fishing. The more room available, the better. It’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
2) Efficiency: Any watercraft used for fishing should be fuel-efficient. On top of having a good fuel economy, a large fuel tank should come standard as well.
3) Seating: Personal watercraft with extra seating provide more room to move around. Typically a 3-seater jet ski will work better for fishing because it allows for more cast positions than a 2-seater.
4) Hull: The type of hull will determine how a jet ski rides. Deeper hulls are usually more practical for fishing. A deep hull will ride more smoothly over choppy water. This is useful when riding a heavy PWC, weighed down by equipment and the catches of the day.
5) Price: How much a jet ski costs may be the single greatest factor in figuring out which model is best for you. Of course, there are affordable options available, but you may find yourself wanting more advanced features.
What’s the Best Fishing Jet Ski?
Currently, there are 3 major PWC manufacturers, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Sea Doo. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately it’s up to you to decide which one fits you best (with our help of course!). While all three manufacturers offer great models, some outshine others.
As of now, the best fishing jet ski is the Kawasaki Ultra LX. There are a lot of great jet ski models that match the criteria mentioned above, but none of them go as far as the Ultra LX.
Keep in mind that almost any PWC will work for jet ski fishing. Most models have enough room for the proper attachments needed, so there is no wrong choice. However, based on the criteria, Kawasaki fairs slightly better in this case.
Here are the reasons why:
1) Storage. Kawasaki’s Ultra LX has 56 gallons of storage, which is more than enough for just about any jet ski fishing excursion you can imagine. Sea Doo comes in second with the Fish Pro’s 40 gallons, and Yamaha finishes last with the FX’s 33 gallons.
2) Fuel. Currently, the LX offers a class-leading fuel capacity of 20.6 gallons. Yamaha’s FX has a capacity of 18.5 gallons, and Sea Doo’s Fish Pro has 18.5 gallons too. The overall fuel economy of the 3 can be argued, but the LX has the biggest tank.
3) Seating. All the manufacturers offer 3 seater models. The deck space available on each varies slightly but they’re relatively the same. The Fish Pro (from Sea Doo) is optimized for ease of movement around the entire watercraft, and for complete stability while fishing.
4) Hull. At 22 degrees, the LX has the deepest hull out of all 3 brands. Although this is somewhat a preference, a deeper hull is recommended. Having a deeper hull makes choppy water much more manageable.
5) Price. When it comes down to the MSRP of all 3 models, the Kawasaki LX wins again with a price tag of $11,199. Sea Doo’s Fish Pro starts at $14,999, and Yamaha’s FX comes in at $13,199.
The Other Top Jet Skis for Fishing
Although Kawasaki has the best fishing jet ski (in our opinion!), there are other great options out there as well.
A new offering from Sea Doo is definitely worth your attention.
Here’s how the other market leaders stack up.
Sea Doo Fish Pro
Sea Doo has the largest line up of PWC, as well as some of the most affordable options. Their low starting prices leave room in most people’s budgets for add-ons, allowing people to customize their jet ski to fit their needs.
If you’d rather choose a Sea Doo as your fishing jet ski, here is our review on the Spark and here is a review on the Wake Pro 230. Those are two of their best selling models, and both offer tons of affordable features. Their hull design and storage space may not match Kawasaki’s, but the amount off upgrades available make up for it.
Sea Doo has recently released the Fish Pro which is their new fishing specific PWC for 2021 and beyond. It’s got some awesome features to make fishing on a PWC that much more practical. It’s not exactly cheap but you might feel some of the special features are worth paying for. It comes as standard with a Garmin Fishfinder for example.
You can check it out in all its glory here.
For years people have made Yamahas into fishing jet skis. Older models had a large amount of storage, and ample deck space, making them great candidates for a makeshift fishing vessel.
A great benefit of Yamaha’s is its dependability. Their engines rarely break down and when they do they’re incredibly easy to work on. If you’re interested in exactly why Yamaha makes the most reliable PWC, check out this post.
Yamaha’s are dependable but they’re also one of the more expensive manufacturers out there.
You can check out the FX in more detail here.
Transforming your watercraft
Once you choose which model to go with, it’s time to make some modifications. There are three main accessories you need:
1) Rod Holder. An excellent rod holder can be found here. This is probably the best jet ski fishing rig out there. It has 6 rod holders and can also fit a cooler. Some people would rather make their own out of PVC pipe but it won’t be as durable.
2) Cooler. A cooler for storing catches, food, and whatever else you might need is essential. Yeti makes some of the best coolers out. The 45 quart Yeti will fit perfectly in the rod holder mentioned above.
There are other additional accessories you may like such as a canopy, but it’s best to order that from the manufacturer.
For a more detailed list of jet ski fishing accessories, read this post.
So, which fishing PWC should I choose?
In reality, the best PWC for fishing is going to vary from one person to the next. It’s kind of like asking what the best fishing rod is. That all depends on the person using it, and what they’re using it for. While no one can say for sure exactly what make or model is the best, the list can definitely be narrowed.
Almost any PWC can be used for fishing. Find a jet ski with a good hull, large storage capacity, and good fuel economy first, then do any modifications you see necessary. The list of accessories mentioned above are the main ingredients in creating the ultimate fishing jet ski.
If you’ve got the budget then you can save yourself a lot of time and effort by splashing the cash on the SeaDoo Fish Pro. Otherwise, go for the much cheaper Kawasaki model and make it more of a project.
Do you go jet ski fishing? What PWC do you use? Tell us about it in the comment section below!